The Bitcoin Mining Parliament
THIS IS AN OPEN-SOURCE TOOL WITH NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACTIONS TAKEN BY THIRD PARTIES
Why the Bitcoin Mining Parliament?
The Bitcoin Mining Parliament (BMP) is a protocol and hashpower voting system, decentralized, on-chain, open-source, verifiable, easy to use, simple, extensible, voluntary, neutral and resistant to outside interference.
The BMP takes no sides in internal Bitcoin Cash disagreements. The BMP is a neutral protocol that works with on-chain data. It is as secure as the Bitcoin Cash blockchain.
The BMP is an on-chain Bitcoin Cash governance protocol that enables miners to coordinate their actions, and thus bring greater certainty to the BCH ecosystem. Miners, and any delegated agents, can talk and vote with their hashpower, simply extending the Nakamoto Consensus in a pre-consensus phase.
The BMP empowers the miners of the last 28 days of BCH blocks to make themselves heard, with a perfect signal to noise ratio. The BMP can serve as an important tool for Bitcoin Cash governance, reducing forking, infighting and disputes.
- Decentralized, on-chain, verifiable.
- Hardware-wallet authentication.
- Real-time chat.
- Optional multi-blockchain SHA-256 hashpower merging.
- Voting (multiple points/options, rectifiable votes, filter by blockchain, comments).
- BMP can calculate the exact hashpower of each individual miner (not just pools).
BMP is a LAMP web system, connected to a one or more Bitcoin clients (via RPC) to read blocks and transactions. Blockchain data is processed with this PHP code in three SQL cache tables: Blocks, Miners and Actions.
Actions are stored in Bitcoin Cash (BCH) because it is fast, cheap and stable.
Actions without hashpower are ignored. Miners power (% of hashpower) changes with each block. Actions power never changes.
Trezor Connect. More hardware wallets will be available in the future.
BMP does not store private keys and the local database only contains public information.
Requirements to participate
- Your address is inside a coinbase output in the last
4,032 blocksof Bitcoin Cash (BCH).
- Recommended: Trezor hardware wallet (Use a new account, with fund for fees only).
power_by_valueBy default, the BMP calculates the proportional hashpower percentage of each output address with the coinbase
value. This makes it compatible with all Bitcoin blocks. This is compatible with all blocks.
power_by_opreturnIn order not to interfere with mining operations, this second method allows hashpower coinbase signal in one or multiple addresses with coinbase OP_RETURN output. This ignores
value, and allows full hashpower delegation, with simplicity.
With the BMP, miners can delegate arbitrary percentages of hashpower to other people to participate. In this way, miners can individually and revocably designate representatives in a fluid and accountable manner.
1) How to participate with a Trezor hardware wallet
- Access a BMP server. For example:
- Confirm that your address (legacy format) is included in /info/miners.
- Plug in your Trezor by USB.
- Click on the yellow
Loginbutton (top right) and accept.
- A popup will open in the Trezor web infrastructure. Accept and select the account from your address. If the popup does not open, then disable your ad blocker or similar programs that can prevent pop-ups.
- Then, the BMP will show your logged-in address (top right).
- You are ready to participate! You can write in the chat, create a vote or vote.
2) How to create actions manually
- Each miner action is a standard transaction in BCH.
- BMP actions use the Memo.cash style.
- The miner’s address must be in the coinbase VOUT in one of the last
4,032 blocksof Bitcoin Cash (BCH).
- The miner’s address must be in the TX_PREV VOUT (Any index).
- The miner’s address must be in VOUT index=0.
- OP_RETURN payload in VOUT index=1.
- OP_RETURN prefix:
- OP_RETURN respecting BMP Protocol. BMP web facilitates the
3) How to signal hashpower with P2Pool
With P2Pool, even the smallest miner can participate right now.
This decentralized pool rewards all participating miners by including their addresses in the coinbase transaction output. And this information is all the BMP needs to enable even the smallest miners to participate.
- Start mining on a P2Pool node normally. For example:
- The user is your address (legacy format).
- That is all!
When P2Pool makes a new block, all BMP servers will recognize and calculate the hashpower associated with your address and you can participate. This uses the
power_by_value hashpower signal method.
4) How to delegate hashpower with
If you can make blocks solo (you are a pool or big miner) you can delegate arbitrary percentages of hashpower to one or more addresses, without altering the
value (block reward). This allows the implementation of the BMP protocol in any sophisticated system, without interfering with the mining operation.
As an example, let's suppose that we want to assign the hashpower of our blocks in the following way:
- 20% of hashpower to address: 1AAtD721LQekC6ncHbAp4ScKxSwR7fFeYT
- 80% of hashpower to address: 1AioJWvdeQq8ddzgz4mvywoBjfrqVQsD1s
- Include in the
block templatethis hexadecimal codes, in two OP_RETURN outputs, inside the coinbase transaction:
- After a new block, check /info/miners and verify that the addresses appear in with their proportional hashpower.
0xIndicates that the code below is hexadecimal.
9dIt is the BMP protocol prefix. First OP_RETURN byte.
00Is the identifier of the
power_by_opreturnhashpower signal mode (for that block).
0007d0in decimal represents
2000which in means
31414174443732314c51656b43366e63486241703453634b78537752376646655954is the address, in legacy format, coded with
This functionality has not been tested on mainet. Please write to email@example.com or use the Github issues for support.
5) How to deploy your own BMP server
- Web server (GNU/Linux, Apache (with mod_rewrite), MySQL, PHP +7).
- Bitcoin BCH client, with
-txindexand RPC access.
- Tested with +300 GB free space and +2 GB RAM.
- Put the BMP code in the
wwwhttpd public directory.
scheme.sqlin a new MySQL database.
- Re-name the file
- Configure RPC and SQL access.
- Wait until the Bitcoin Cash client are up-to-date.
- Set a
crontabevery minute executing:
- Wait for BMP synchronization (~10h). Check progress in:
1) What is the intention behind the BMP?
- To extend Nakamoto Consensus in pre-consensus phase.
- To discover Nakamoto Consensus more precisely, not just via block signals but also via chat and polling.
- To facilitate coordination of Nakamoto Consensus.
- To empower miners to realize the Bitcoin whitepaper vision for global adoption and a freer world.
2) How does the BMP work?
The BMP is a protocol, an on-chain system and a web interface. It listens to Bitcoin blocks to calculate the exact proportional hashpower of each BCH address, according to the coinbase signal. The actions work like a decentralized modern social network (like memo.cash), and permit miners to chat and vote in polls.
3) How are non-BCH SHA256 miners excluded?
BMP activity is easily filtered by blockchain or connected to BCH blockchain only. Further, the exact proportional hashpower of a BMP user is calculated from the last 4,032 blocks — the preceding 28 days. Therefore, miners must demonstrate skin in the game before participating in the BMP.
4) Is the BMP pre-consensus process binding?
Today BMP extends Nakamoto Consensus in a pre-consensus phase. The BMP permits miners to coordinate their actions (Nakamoto Consensus) with a perfect signal-to-noise ratio. The BMP provides a communication channel that did not previously exist. In this way, it adds enormous value.
In the future, the BMP protocol can be implemented in the nodes, for example, to execute the setting of pre-defined parameters in the consensus phase.
5) How is this any different from a miner issuing a public statement?
There are many differences, including the following
- With the BMP, you can verify "beyond all doubt" the amount of hashpower associated with each action.
- All BMP actions are signed on-chain "forever".
- The BMP allows miners to talk and vote with hashpower with the comfort and depth of a modern social network, including via live chat and vote polling.
- The BMP allows all miners to participate, even the smallest ones. Not just pools.
- The BMP also allows the delegation of an arbitrary percentages of hashpower to any BCH address.
These are all significant innovations introduced by the BMP for the first time that can make a difference.
6) What is the root problem the BMP is trying to solve?
The root problem is mostly a political one: a group of humans have to agree beforehand, and then act together, without the existence of a central authority.
It is a political problem and the solution initially can only be through dialogue and diplomacy.
Pre-consensus exists before consensus. It happens first. Only when pre-consensus exists, can consensus take place.
7) What is delegation and how does that add value?
There are actions that allow a percentage of your own hashpower to be assigned to a different address for use in the BMP chat and voting functions. The BMP respects this voluntary decision of the miner with accuracy. This is possible for the first time thanks to the BMP.
8) How does this compare to a foundation?
The BMP can be considered a "shareholder meeting” or a foundation. But it will be an on-chain foundation and, therefore, indestructible and stable in the long-term.
9) How can I as a non-miner signal support for the BMP and encourage miners to use it?
Inform yourself by reading the information below. Share this information widely. Encourage miners to participate.
- x86_64 GNU/Linux CentOS 7.8
- PHP 8
- MariaDB 5.5
- MySQL 5
- Firefox 67
- Chrome 74
- Bitcoin Unlimited 1.9.0
- P2Pool 17.0
- Trezor Model T (recomended).
- Trezor One (partially functional because a limited OP_RETURN size).
- Update when chain reorg.
- Chinese internationalization.
- More hardware wallets support.
- IRC-like classic attacks in chat.
- Automatic testing.
- Formal specification.
- Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
- Why Bitcoin Cash Needs the BMP?
- ¿Por qué Bitcoin Cash necesita el BMP?
- Code Github
Javier González González